Wednesday, June 27, 2012

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN WORSHIP

Good evening friends and family. I was headed off to bed and wanted to jot a few lines to you all. This evening I spent alone in relative silence with just a few books, my Bible, and my new personal sized ELW. There are so many gems in the new ELW not the least of which is a three-year lectionary based Bible reading schedule. There are several other pieces in the new hymnal that are helpful for lives of discipleship. I encourage you all to own an ELW of your own and use it in concert with your personal Bible. I will be using the new hymnal for a significant portion of confirmation and worship with the youth. So here is my question for you all: let's all think about what it means to worship as Evangelical Lutheran Christians. If you are versed in the German meaning of evangelical you might tell me that "evangelical Christian" is redundant...and you might be right. Nonetheless, it is an important term that we must know hold to if we are to fulfill the commands of Christ. Ta ya... More later... Tomorrow afternoon I will be in Houston visiting the Bishop's office.

No comments: